Re: Missing option in GNOME Control Center

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 14/02/2008, Andrius <pantor@painter-decorator.eu> wrote:
Gnome panel sometimes doing various tricks. It is a good GUI, but not
 reliable.

Please explain that comment, and provide details. I'm a KDE user, but
I don't know Gnome to be unreliable. What, exactly (with examples) do
you mean by "unreliable".

1. Gnome fails to connect with a secure Webdav folder at my univ., while KDE works great. Hasn't worked for the last few years. Made me switch to KDE though -- not to mention I started to like KDE! 2. Gnomebaker does not erase DVD-RW discs. It just gets confused and gives an error no matter which back end I use, cdrecord or wodim. K3b however, works great. Apparently, others have reported this too and there is some noise on Ubuntu lists about this.

Now, I admit, one could argue these are not examples of unreliability since Gnome fails consistently :) But (1) above has been going on for so long and that I now have serious doubts whether Gnome (Nautilus, more specifically) developers really care about Webdav access functionality at all.

I was looking for chance to rant, thanks for opportunity :)

But having said, I must also say that for a novice Linux desktop user, I would probably recommend Gnome. It is much more simpler (fewer customizations and options) than KDE. Gnome developers have done magnificent work. Of course, it is always going to need improvement and fixes here and there.

regards,
->HS

If this sounds like an attack, then yes, I am attacking your FUD.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il