Re: New User- Network Problem

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 02:13:00AM +0000, Mitch Crawford wrote:
> On 14 Feb, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:
>
> > right now there are these 3 scripts:
> >  S38resolvconf
> >  S39ifupdown
> >  S40networking
>
> I havn't got S38 ?

Don't worry about it. The resolvconf package is not absolutely
necessary.

> What I have found is that if I disable the network & re enable it I do get
> a connection from the wired network.
> I'm guessing it gets it through DHCP but my router isn't figured for that,
> I only use static IP's.

Where are they configured? What are you using to configure your network?

> Could it be getting the IP no from the ISP, although it's the same every
> time and I'm not getting a default route or DNS servers listed.
> The IP being set is 169.254.176.243 not the 10.0.0.6 set in etc/network/
> interfaces

The 169.254.x.x range is used for local networks of zeroconf type. As
far as I can see you got two options:

1. Try to figure out how to correctly configure your current setup. But
you need to give us more details if you want help.

2. Purge all the fancy GUI network tools and do it the geek way, through
the /etc/network/interfaces file, which is actually quite simple.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)