Re: vim + LaTeX (Was: What am I missing without mutt?)

On 06 Feb 2008, Dan H. wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:29:40AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Just out of curiosity: why OOo instead of AbiWord?
> >
> >     After you suggested using AbiWord I gave it a whirl.  At first glance it
> > seemed to work nicely but after 2-3 times I noticed that it was really
> > chugging on dealing with my document which was a mere 25 pages of prose
> > so far.
>
> Yeah, same here. It's probably been 2 years that I tried AbiWord, but my
> main impression was just "sluggish". Very unresponsive. Although, in
> principle, nobody can type or read as fast as the most lardy app can swallow
> or choke up text, the "feel" just isn't right.
>
> OOo is bog-slow when starting up (and it does nameserver lookups, WTF for? I
> noticed recentyl when my NS was down), but after that it gets tolerable.
>
> Still a snail when compared to M$ Office on the same machine.
>
> --D.

Why has no one in this thread mentioned Lyx? I've just used it to
produce two books for Lulu and have found it good for that purpose. But
I don't use it to produce the actual text; for that I use (g)vim. Once
the text is more or less as I want it I then import it into Lyx for
working up into the right format.

Incidentally, a tip for anyone who is thinking of using Lulu: you can
upload your file as postscript, which obviates all the messing about
trying to produce an acceptable pdf file. But for some reason Lulu
doesn't advertise this option.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian