Re: Debian User List

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 06:56 +0000, Joe Hart wrote:
> s. keeling wrote:
> > Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl>:
>
> [snip]

> >>  Well, goodbye (if you ever see this John)
> >
> > There's always the archives at lists.debian.org if he's curious.  I
> > suspect he'll be happier at *buntu.  Feh.
> >

> Yes, and I don't use them nearly as much as I should.  I usually just
> google things and end up finding the debian list :)

Amazing that much of the advice here is: GIYF (STFW) or RTFM

And, it also brings you back.

> >>  I expect that when Etch releases, this list will be flooded with people
> >>  requesting help,
> >
> > Yup.  Always has been in the past at least.
> >
> >>  and while I might not know the answers to everything, I might
> >>  actually be able to help people and by doing so be giving something
> >>  to the community.  So far I think I have helped a total of 3 people
> >>  and gotten 2 thank you messages for that.
> >
> > Three.  Thank you.  I've been doing what you're doing now since the
> > late '90s.  It's community.  Help newbies, and you help newbies to
> > become more than newbies, and when they're more than newbies, they can
> > begin to provide useful bug reports, and that helps the DDs, and that
> > helps Debian, and that helps upstream, and that helps Free Software,
> > and that creates a better world.  Die, entropy, die!  :-)
> >

> Couldn't agree more.  Maybe I should keep a list of people that I help
> so when someone starts flaming me, I can retort by saying, well, I might
> have not helped you, but I have helped {paste list here} and they seemed
> happy with me.
>
> Not likely to do such a thing, but it is handy to be prepared.

I'd have to keep three^Wfour lists:

     1. Those helped (numerous)
     2. Those that have twit-listed me (numerous)
     3. Those driven off this list (many, I assume)
     4. Those brought to this list (uncountable/unknown)

I guess, maybe I should just keep things "strictly" Debian. But then, I
couldn't use my analogies, which then get corrected and then get argued
about which way is actually right, then transforms into about how soon
our sun is going to become a gas giant all because of the contributions
to the "heat death of the universe" OT Threads have caused. Then having
yet another round of "Please stop Off-Topic messages" or "OT Threads
should go elsewhere" or "Stupid ML reply-to should be blah" or "We need
a PURE/ONLY Debian Help List"...

Yeah. I know, Etch migrating to Stable can not come to soon.

> >>  I am looking forward to being able to provide help to new users and
> >>  give thanks to the people who have directly or indirectly helped
> >>  me.  I am thankful that I found this list and although I am not
> >>  real happy about the large amount of off-topic discussion, I do not
> >>  regret subscribing to this list, nor do I plan on unsubscribing.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I remember writing the same thing close to a decade ago.
> >

> I bet if I searched the archives (mentioned above) I might even be able
> to find you (and many others) saying the same thing.  I think that this
> list is about that.  Letting people that use Debian talk about whatever
> they want, and provide help when it is requested.  We all have one thing
> in common and that is that we use Debian (or at least some variant of
> it).  That is what keeps us here.

I've written it many places, but eventually come crawling back due to
the reason I went there (or here) in the first place. The amount of
knowledge here. I call it the "Debain Group Mind", some where, some
place someone knows and can help with 99% of things.

> > Piker.  :-)  Have fun.
>
> Oh I've been having a blast.  Dumping Windows and switching to GNU/Linux
> makes me feel like I am much younger, like I was back in school again.
> So much to learn....

I did it long ago myself. In fact, the Windows License I have for this
particular machine exists in VM form only. The last time I even started
that was Dec-2005, it appears.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup