Re: Debian User List

John C wrote:

> Greg Folkert wrote:

>>> A better question would be.. Why would those who are tired of the OT
>>> bull sessions want you to?
>>>
>>> It would probably be a lot better for the new users to help
>>> themselves than to be pawns for your ego. Sure they'll make mistakes,
>>> but I suspect they'll learn more in the long run.
>>
>> Piss-off. I don't do it for ego, but it seems you do.
>

> Actually, that was a little harsher than I meant it to be Greg. You are
> not the worst offender. However, if you wonder where the ego comment
> came from, please notice the highlighted *I* in your statement quoted
> below. Then ask yourself why anyone would highlight a pronoun when
> talking about themselves?
>
> "Okay, so why would *I* subscribe to that list?"
>
> ----------------------------
> ego n
> 1: an inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others
>            [syn: {egotism}, {self-importance}]
> 2: your consciousness of your own identity [syn: {self}]
> 3: (psychoanalysis) the conscious mind
> -----------------------------
>

> As for the Debian User list, there is little value in monitoring it
> anymore. In the days of "Bo" and "Hamm" it was by far the most
> technically valuable and helpful list on the net, but that day has
> passed. It now consists of much more self important bullshit than debian
> related discussion. As a result, in the last few months I've learned
> more about the politics, religion and sex life of other users than I
> ever wanted to know.
>
> Since my only reason for remaining on the list all these years was
> simply to keep abreast of the progress of the Debian community and since
> that community seems to be morphing into something less than it could
> be, I've decided to unsubscribe.
>
> But before doing so, I just wanted to say "thank you" to all who
> contributed to my knowledge of Debian and of Linux over the years either
> directly by helping me with a problem or indirectly by helping other
> users with their problems.
>
> Thanks, and that thanks includes several of the OT posters.

Well, goodbye (if you ever see this John)

Having been only around for the last month or so, I would disagree about
the amount of knowledge on this list.  But what is news to me is old hat
to people like you who have used Debian for years and read the
documentation thoroughly.

I expect that when Etch releases, this list will be flooded with people
requesting help, and while I might not know the answers to everything, I
might actually be able to help people and by doing so be giving
something to the community.  So far I think I have helped a total of 3
people and gotten 2 thank you messages for that.

It might be that some of my messages actually generate more traffic and
or cause controversy.  While I don't have that intention, and am not a
troll, I cannot help my opinions.  They are exactly that.  My opinions.

I am looking forward to being able to provide help to new users and give
thanks to the people who have directly or indirectly helped me.  I am
thankful that I found this list and although I am not real happy about
the large amount of off-topic discussion, I do not regret subscribing to
 this list, nor do I plan on unsubscribing.

Joe

- --