Re: how to print unicode encoded file to ps

Jeff Zhang wrote:

> [Try it] with simple unicode encoding file (test.txt), like:

> chinese 中文

> then produce with:
> u2ps -X utf8 --gpfamily="Sans 12" test.txt -o u2ps.ps
> paps --font "Sans 12" < test.txt >paps.ps

It must have something to do with installed fonts. I repeated your
experiments exactly, but when viewing the .ps files with gv:

- u2ps.ps had rectangles instead of 中文
- paps.ps displayed 中文 correctly.

Maybe this is because I do not have the Chinese fonts that you
mentioned (like GnomeUni-MicrosoftYaHei_005) installed. Because of
fontconfig, this does not matter with paps; it just finds another
font which has the "中" and "文" characters. But u2ps cannot.

I hope the unicode characters in this message make it to the list..

Regards, Jan