Re: Debian User List

Greg Folkert wrote:
[snip]
>> I usually just google things and end up finding the debian list :)
>
> Amazing that much of the advice here is: GIYF (STFW) or RTFM
>
> And, it also brings you back.
>
> I guess, maybe I should just keep things "strictly" Debian. But then, I
> couldn't use my analogies, which then get corrected and then get argued
> about which way is actually right, then transforms into about how soon
> our sun is going to become a gas giant all because of the contributions
> to the "heat death of the universe" OT Threads have caused. Then having
> yet another round of "Please stop Off-Topic messages" or "OT Threads
> should go elsewhere" or "Stupid ML reply-to should be blah" or "We need
> a PURE/ONLY Debian Help List"...
>
> Yeah. I know, Etch migrating to Stable can not come to soon.

I have not been here that long and already I see the same pattern.  It
must drive those of you who have been on the list for a long time crazy.

>> I bet if I searched the archives (mentioned above) I might even be able
>> to find you (and many others) saying the same thing.  I think that this
>> list is about that.  Letting people that use Debian talk about whatever
>> they want, and provide help when it is requested.  We all have one thing
>> in common and that is that we use Debian (or at least some variant of
>> it).  That is what keeps us here.
>
> I've written it many places, but eventually come crawling back due to
> the reason I went there (or here) in the first place. The amount of
> knowledge here. I call it the "Debain Group Mind", some where, some
> place someone knows and can help with 99% of things.
>
>> Oh I've been having a blast.  Dumping Windows and switching to GNU/Linux
>> makes me feel like I am much younger, like I was back in school again.
>> So much to learn....
>
> I did it long ago myself. In fact, the Windows License I have for this
> particular machine exists in VM form only. The last time I even started
> that was Dec-2005, it appears.

Same here.  Interesting that I had to call MS twice to get a my
activation code.  At least it was on their dime.  The first time the
mean lady said I needed to contact the vendor that sold me the PC, the
second time a different nice lady had me read the 25 random characters
to her and then gave me 54 random numbers to type in and poof, my
Virtual Box copy of Windows XP is valid.  Now I can support my friends
that have Windows, and can use newsleecher to download all I want.  I
love being able to minimize Windows.  I really wish I could just get rid
of the thing altogether, but alas my wife insists that she be able to
use it, and she refuses to go into a different room to use one of the
other computers.

More and more she ends up using the GNU/Linux apps though.  She is
learning.  Thank goodness there is X, otherwise she'd never use it.

Joe

- --