Re: SMTP smart host authentication fails

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 07:32:18AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:
>
> > >         *:hartford-hwp.com:<PW>
> > >
> > > But can a wildcard replace the name of the server like this?
> >
> > Yes.  No matter what host asks exim for auth, it will give this username
> > and password.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I'll try it.

> > > Pop sercver is pop.hartford-hwp.com; smtp server is smtp.hartford-hwp.com
> >
> > They look like server names not user names for a login session.
>
> You are right. I misread your question. UID for both POP and SMTP is:
> brownh@hartford-hwp.com.
>
> > > This may be my problem: I have a hardware firewall. However, if I'm
> > > using port 25 for smtp, wouldn't my firewall let it through? Is the
> > > fact that it's now SSL require a change in my hardware firewall?
> > >

> > YES.  Absolutley.  You've told exim to contact smtp on port 587 but if
> > your firewall is blocking connections on port 587 then nothing will get
> > through.
>
> I reverted to port 25. In my firewall, I set up a custom service in it
> for ssmtp to use port 587. This may solve my problem.
>
> > according to /etc/services that's ssmtp.  But who cares?  You tell the
> > firewall what port to open.  Your ISP told you what port to use so you
> > tell the firewall and you tell exim.
>
> Tell exim4 the port to use? Where would that be?

Read /usr/share/doc/exim4-doc-html/html/spec_html/ch14.html

section 14.13 on tls_on_connect_ports

with full details in 14.23.

Basically, everything you need to know is in the spec document.  But it
is huge.  I can't really read it vicariously for you since only you have
talked with your ISP.

Doug.