Re: SMTP smart host authentication fails

"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

 > 1. In /etc/exim4/passwd.client I inserted this line (where "<PW>" is
> >    my plain test password):
> >
> >     mymail.myregisteredsite.com:hartford-hwp.com:<PW>
>
> Yeah, redirects sort of mess up exim. That's why I would use:
>
> 	*:[username]:[PW]
>
> Is your login user-name really hartford-hwp.com?

Yes, that is my username. So you are recommending:

        *:hartford-hwp.com:<PW>

But can a wildcard replace the name of the server like this?

> > 2. In exim4 configuration, I have to specify the smtp server. In
> >    /etc/exim4/update.exim.conf.conf I have the line:
> >
> >     dc_smarthost='mymail.myregisteredsite.com'
> >

> I would stick to the name they gave you.  Otherwise, exim will try to
> contact that box directly and that box is likely configured to only
> acccept stuff from smtp.hardford-hwp.com

OK, I'll revert as you suggest.

> > 3. I have not specified the authentication method. After speaking with
> >    my tech support supervisor's supervisor, all I could get was that
> >    the authentication method is "basic", "ordinary". Only later one
> >    person suggested that "basic" is really plain
> >    authentication. Assuming this is correct, I did not make any
> >    changes to the /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template file, which
> >    apparently defaults to the plain text authentication method. I have
> >    no trouble accessing the POP server.
>
> Is your pop-server username hartford-hwp.com as well?

Pop sercver is pop.hartford-hwp.com; smtp server is smtp.hartford-hwp.com

> inetd.conf is for incoming ports.  Opening a port in the sense they mean
> is opening a port in your own firewall to let exim call out on port 587.
> The standard port per /etc/services would be 465.

I reverted to port 25, but no luck

> So, do you have a firewall?

This may be my problem: I have a hardware firewall. However, if I'm
using port 25 for smtp, wouldn't my firewall let it through? Is the
fact that it's now SSL require a change in my hardware firewall?

> > I know that whenever I make changes to exim configuration or to the
> > inetd.conf file, I must restart. Will both of these commands do it
> > (I'm using debian Etch)? That is, does reconfiguring Exim also restart
> > inetd, and does restarting inetd also rescan Exim4 configuration?
> >
> >   # dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
> >   # /usr/sbin/initd restart
> >

> There is no such file as /usr/sbin/initd to restart.
>
> However, there is /etc/init.d/exim4 restart.

Ouch. I was led astray here. Running the command didn't have cause
feedback, which I took as good news. I'm now using # invoke-rc.d exim4
restart , which I assume does the same as #  /etc/init.d/exim4 restart

My problem may be my hardware firewall, not so much the port, but the
protocol for SSL SMTP smtp or smtps?).

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM