Re: SMTP smart host authentication fails

Haines Brown wrote:
This morning, my ISP decided to change the names of their POP and SMTP
servers. For POP, I adjusted the poll in ~/.fetchmailrc and can
receive mail.
As for SMTP, the new address (smtp.hartford-hwp.com) failed because
there was no IP address for it on the SMTP server. I called back tech
support and was told, Oh, you also need to specify port 587. I tried
that, but still get an error when I try to send a message to
bogggus@msn.com (I'm looking for the DNS server error
message). /var/log/exim4/maillog has: 2007-10-26 21:07:36 1Ila9I-0001tq-DL <= brownh@teufel.hartford-hwp.com U=brownh P=local S=417 2007-10-26 21:07:36 1Ila9I-0001tq-DL no IP address found for host smtp.hartford-hwp.com 2007-10-26 21:07:36 1Ila9I-0001tq-DL == bogggus@msn.com R=smarthost defer (-1): lookup of host "smtp.hartford-hwp.com" failed in smarthost router

My /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf has:
dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames='hartford-hwp.com'
dc_local_interfaces=''
dc_readhost='hartford-hwp.com'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='smtp.hartford-hwp.com::587'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

I reconfirmed with tech support that the server address above is
correct. Tehnical support kept asking me if I had enabled
authentication. I can only assume it is.

My mail utility is rmail, and the default mail_spool sents the
incoming mail to ~/RMAIL archive file.
Is there anything obviously wrong with the exim4 configuration? Except
for the smarthost line, it is what I've been using many months. Could
it be that the server does not like the hostname "teufel" in my
address? I know that I have to edit messages sent to this newsgroup by
removing it from the address on the From: line.

You have to configure exim to authenticate itself on port 587 (submission port) using your smtp username and password.
This is what they mean by enabling authentication.
Your current exim configuration doesn't seem to have the username & password parameters.
Sorry I cant help you on configuring exim as I have never used it.

Mihira.

--
Random Quotes From Megas XLR
Coop: You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff.