Re: SMTP smart host authentication fails

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 02:06:02PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> Doug, thanks for your comments.
>
> To access my ISP's new SSL smtp server, I was given a new server name:
> smtp.hartford-hwp.com. But I find out this is only a shortcut to the
> actual server, which I'm told is mymail.myregisteredsite.com. I
> dutifully changed to that address, but when I try to send messages, I
> get:
>
>   host mymail.myregisteredsite.com [209.237.134.152]:
>   553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
>
> Tech support insists this error message means I'm not authenticating
> with the server, but that's not what it sounds like.
>
> To authenticate with the SMTP server, there seem to be four issues:
>
> 1. In /etc/exim4/passwd.client I inserted this line (where "<PW>" is
>    my plain test password):
>
>     mymail.myregisteredsite.com:hartford-hwp.com:<PW>

Yeah, redirects sort of mess up exim. That's why I would use:

	*:[username]:[PW]

Is your login user-name really hartford-hwp.com?

> 2. In exim4 configuration, I have to specify the smtp server. In
>    /etc/exim4/update.exim.conf.conf I have the line:
>
>     dc_smarthost='mymail.myregisteredsite.com'

I would stick to the name they gave you.  Otherwise, exim will try to
contact that box directly and that box is likely configured to only
acccept stuff from smtp.hardford-hwp.com

> 3. I have not specified the authentication method. After speaking with
>    my tech support supervisor's supervisor, all I could get was that
>    the authentication method is "basic", "ordinary". Only later one
>    person suggested that "basic" is really plain
>    authentication. Assuming this is correct, I did not make any
>    changes to the /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template file, which
>    apparently defaults to the plain text authentication method. I have
>    no trouble accessing the POP server.

Is your pop-server username hartford-hwp.com as well?

> 4. I was told to open the port 587 for SMTP instead of 25 (no port
>    change was needed to access the POP server). So in /etc/inetd.conf
>    I tried both of these lines without success, and also commented the
>    line (reverted to port 25):
>
>     ssmtp		587/tcp		smtps		# SMTP over SSL
>     smtp		587/tcp		smtps		# SMTP over SSL
>
>    Which of these two lines has the right syntax?

inetd.conf is for incoming ports.  Opening a port in the sense they mean
is opening a port in your own firewall to let exim call out on port 587.
The standard port per /etc/services would be 465.

So, do you have a firewall?

> I know that whenever I make changes to exim configuration or to the
> inetd.conf file, I must restart. Will both of these commands do it
> (I'm using debian Etch)? That is, does reconfiguring Exim also restart
> inetd, and does restarting inetd also rescan Exim4 configuration?
>
>   # dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
>   # /usr/sbin/initd restart

There is no such file as /usr/sbin/initd to restart.

However, there is /etc/init.d/exim4 restart.