Re: SMTP smart host authentication fails

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 11:20:10AM +0000, Mihira Fernando wrote:
> Haines Brown wrote:
> >This morning, my ISP decided to change the names of their POP and SMTP
> >servers. For POP, I adjusted the poll in ~/.fetchmailrc and can
> >receive mail.
> >
> >As for SMTP, the new address (smtp.hartford-hwp.com) failed because
> >there was no IP address for it on the SMTP server. I called back tech
> >support and was told, Oh, you also need to specify port 587. I tried
> >that, but still get an error when I try to send a message to
> >bogggus@msn.com (I'm looking for the DNS server error
> >message). /var/log/exim4/maillog has:
> >
> >2007-10-26 21:07:36 1Ila9I-0001tq-DL
> >	<= brownh@teufel.hartford-hwp.com U=brownh P=local S=417
> >2007-10-26 21:07:36 1Ila9I-0001tq-DL no IP address found for host
> >	smtp.hartford-hwp.com
> >2007-10-26 21:07:36 1Ila9I-0001tq-DL == bogggus@msn.com R=smarthost
> >	defer (-1): lookup of host "smtp.hartford-hwp.com" failed in
> >	smarthost router
> >
> >My /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf has:
> >
> >dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
> >dc_other_hostnames='hartford-hwp.com'
> >dc_local_interfaces=''
> >dc_readhost='hartford-hwp.com'
> >dc_relay_domains=''
> >dc_minimaldns='false'
> >dc_relay_nets=''
> >dc_smarthost='smtp.hartford-hwp.com::587'
> >CFILEMODE='644'
> >dc_use_split_config='false'
> >dc_hide_mailname='true'
> >dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
> >dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'
> >
> >I reconfirmed with tech support that the server address above is
> >correct. Tehnical support kept asking me if I had enabled
> >authentication. I can only assume it is.
> >
> >My mail utility is rmail, and the default mail_spool sents the
> >incoming mail to ~/RMAIL archive file.
> >
> >Is there anything obviously wrong with the exim4 configuration? Except
> >for the smarthost line, it is what I've been using many months. Could
> >it be that the server does not like the hostname "teufel" in my
> >address? I know that I have to edit messages sent to this newsgroup by
> >removing it from the address on the From: line.
> >

> You have to configure exim to authenticate itself on port 587 (submission
> port) using your smtp username and password.
> This is what they mean by enabling authentication.
> Your current exim configuration doesn't seem to have the username &
> password parameters.
> Sorry I cant help you on configuring exim as I have never used it.

I have.

I'm using Etch with the standard exim4 packages.  To complicated
matters, you're using a single template file and I'm using split.  So I
can't tell you "change this file" since for you everything is in one
file.  All I can do is tell you what section to look for.

cd /etc/exim4

If everything works as it should, you should only have to do two things:

1.	Put your password info in passwd.client.

Assuming that you only have one smarthost (so that exim doesn't have to
send a different password depending on the DNS name of the smarthost to
which it is talking), put something like this in the file (this is what
I have, minus the passwd):

*.porchlight.ca:dtutty:PASSWORD

Note that you don't have to encode the password as exim will do this
automatically.  For me, the password is the same as my ppp login
password.

Now, if this is an unsecured connection, exim will balk at sending a
clear-text password.  I'm on dialup so with a point-to-point link over a
phone line there is no real concern, so I had to put this in.  On your
single file, it will go on the fourth line down, right before the

####
# Runtime configuration file for exim4...

Here's what I have:

#### localmacros
#### see /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian.html section 2.1.3

# porchlight.ca requires plain-text SMTP auth.  Exim by default does
# allow this.  See section 2.3.1
AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = TRUE

#Allow non-root to check the mailq
queue_list_requires_admin = false

-----

This should be everything you need.  If it doesn't work, look in the
file exim4.conf.template and search for "AUTHENTICATION".

You'll come to the auth section.

You'll see the "auth/30_exim4-config_examples section.

Here is where all the auth stuff takes place.  Talk to your ISP tech
support to determine the type of auth they do so that you can ensure
that exim is set up to do it correctly.

When I was running Sarge, the passwd.client lookup wasn't happening
correctly so I had to put it manually into this section instead.

Good luck,

Doug.