Re: Two Xorg processes?

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 00:46:49 +0200, Davide Mancusi wrote:
> Florian Kulzer ha scritto:
>> I would log out and check if the second Xorg process is still there, to
>> see if the problem is tied to your account or not.
>
> Still there.
>
>> Then I would temporarily switch to xdm or gdm and check if the anomaly
>> is still occurring. This will hopefully tell us if we have to start
>> poking around in the kdm configuration or in the configuration files of
>> X itself.
> >
> > /var/log/kdm.log might also be worth a look.
>
> I tried with gdm and I got the same result. I turned then to the kdm log
> file and to xorg.conf. The only interesting line in kdm.log was the
> following:
>
> (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
>
> ...which reminds me that my video card has an unused exit port (a DVI port?
> I can't remember). Could this be the reason? It sounds a bit silly to have
> an X server running if nothing is connected to the DVI port, but who
> knows... How can I test this hypothesis?

I don't think that this is related to the two Xorg processes. I see the
same warning with my Intel Q965 graphics card, simply because it shows
up under two bus addresses in lspci, but I don't have two Xorg processes
running.

Maybe the full Xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) has more clues.

Maybe the fglrx driver is to blame; did you already check if you still
see two Xorg processes with the basic "vesa" driver enabled instead?

          Florian   |