Re: Two Xorg processes?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 22:13:39 +0200, Davide Mancusi wrote:
> Florian Kulzer ha scritto:
>>> I have noticed that I have two Xorg processes running
>> Did you already try to log out and restart kdm?
>
> Yes. It happens at every boot.
>
> I wouldn't bother if I were at least sure that the second Xorg process is
> not allocating memory separately, but just sharing it with the first one.

Did you at some point in the past use "Switch User" to start a new
session on tty8? It would be interesting to know what options are used
when the second Xorg process is started. Here is what I see:

$ pstree -a $(pgrep -P1 kdm)
kdm -config /var/run/kdm/kdmrc
  ├─Xorg -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/XXXXXXXXXX
  └─kdm
      └─startkde /usr/bin/startkde
          ├─kwrapper ksmserver
          └─ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startkde

This should tell you on which VT the second Xorg process is running; you
can then switch to that VT and check out what is going on. (I think it
should never happen that two Xorg processes are attached to the same
VT; lockfiles in /tmp are supposed to prevent that.)

          Florian   |