Re: Two Xorg processes?

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 22:53:22 +0200, Davide Mancusi wrote:
> Florian Kulzer ha scritto:
>> Did you at some point in the past use "Switch User" to start a new
>> session on tty8? It would be interesting to know what options are used
>> when the second Xorg process is started. Here is what I see:

[...]

>> This should tell you on which VT the second Xorg process is running; you
>> can then switch to that VT and check out what is going on. (I think it
>> should never happen that two Xorg processes are attached to the same
>> VT; lockfiles in /tmp are supposed to prevent that.)
>
> Thanks for the interest and the good idea. However...
>
> $ pstree -a $(pgrep -P1 kdm)
> kdm -config /var/run/kdm/kdmrc
>   ├─Xorg -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/XXXXXXXXXX
>   │   └─Xorg -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt7 -auth /var/run/xauth/XXXXXXXXXX
>   └─kdm
>       └─startkde /usr/bin/startkde
>           ├─kwrapper ksmserver
>           ├─seahorse-agent --execute /usr/bin/startkde
>           └─ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session...
>
> (The last line is cut.)
>
> I also checked the lock file:
> $ cat /tmp/.X0-lock
>       4526
> which is the pid of the first Xorg instance (unsurprisingly).
>
> What now?

I would log out and check if the second Xorg process is still there, to
see if the problem is tied to your account or not.

Then I would temporarily switch to xdm or gdm and check if the anomaly
is still occurring. This will hopefully tell us if we have to start
poking around in the kdm configuration or in the configuration files of
X itself.

/var/log/kdm.log might also be worth a look.

          Florian   |