Re: [RESOLVED] Re: Canon Powershot A640 (update #2)

andy wrote:

> Thanks for your ideas. I suspect that you are probably right in your
> assessment of the protocols the different devices use: the Sony
> registers as a storage device while the Canon is registered as a camera.
> While this doesn't answer the issue of why on my partner's Etch machine
> running KDE the icon pops up on her desktop ready to be transferred from
> but not on my Lenny machine, the matter is now more than workable with
> the help of the good folk here and the digikam application. For the rest
> of it, I'll have to file that under that ever-expanding title of WTF? ;-)
>

> Cheers
>
> Andy
>
> --
>
> "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Okay, here is a last try. Let's compare the package we have. I have:
$> dpkg -l *usb* *kam* *gphoto* *dbus* | grep ^ii | gawk '{print $1,
"\t" $2, "\t" $3}'
ii      dbus    1.1.1-3
ii      dbus-x11        1.1.1-3
ii      digikam         2:0.9.2-4
ii      gphoto2         2.3.1-2
ii      gtkam   0.1.12-2.2
ii      kamera  4:3.5.7-2lenny1
ii      libdbus-1-3     1.1.1-3
ii      libdbus-1-dev   1.1.1-3
ii      libdbus-glib-1-2        0.74-1
ii      libdbus-qt-1-1c2        0.62.git.20060814-2
ii      libgphoto2-2    2.3.1-8
ii      libgphoto2-2-dev        2.3.1-8
ii      libgphoto2-port0        2.3.1-8
ii      libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil       0.3-2
ii      libndesk-dbus1.0-cil    0.4.2-1
ii      libusb-0.1-4    2:0.1.12-7
ii      libusb-dev      2:0.1.12-7
ii      usbutils        0.72-8
ii      xserver-xorg-video-sisusb       1:0.8.1-3

Now lets compare our gruops. I belong to the following:
me@bijli 17:54:03{dat}$> groups
hs adm dialout cdrom floppy audio src video plugdev staff netdev camera

I think plugdev and camera are the most important. adm certainly
shouldn't make any difference here.

->HS