Re: Canon Powershot A640 (update #2)

H.S. wrote:
andy wrote:
<snip>
OK have run digikam at the command line and manually added the camera to
it and now I can view the images. So that at least is progress. It still
does not answer the more basic question of why the camera is not being
auto-mounted as it is on the Etch machine.

Any ideas on that would be really helpful.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

If I recall correctly, if I connect my wife's camera directly to my Etch
machine, I have to detect the camera from digikam's menus -- i.e. it
isn't detected automatically. If you wish, I can verify this in a few
minutes.

However, I normally just insert the camera's SD card into my card reader
connected to the computer via a USB cable. Using that external card
reader makes reading the flash drives very easy (auto-detection,
auto-mounting, etc.).

->HS

Hi

If it is no trouble for you to verify this, then that would be a useful comparison to know. As noted earlier, I have now installed digikam and will use that from now on to download the images from the camera. I am just used to having the Sony auto-mounted and clicking through the directories to the images. Force of habit, but I am still puzzled by the inconsistency between why the Sony auto-mounts and the Canon doesn't and why my wife's Etch machine auto recognises (and auto-mounts) the camera and Lenny doesn't. Go figure!!

I don't have a card reader, but it sounds like that may not be such a bad thing to get, except that it is probably more hassle to eject the SD card and reload it into a reader and run the risk of damaging it from frequent handling.

I think that my immediate concerns are now sorted - I can successfully retrieve images taken. The less pressing issue, but one that will bug me, is the difference between the 2 cameras on one hand and the the difference between the 2 machines on the other hand.

Oh well ... :-)