Re: Canon Powershot A640 (update #2)

andy wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 08/08/07 12:51, andy wrote:
Hi again

Yes, apparently gphoto2 *does* recognise the camera (and this is
confirmed by Canon as well). However, with the Sony, I never used
gphoto2 and only installed it thinking that it might help with this one.

Anyway, here's the output of your suggestion:

andy@valhalla:~$ sudo tail -n40 -f /var/log/syslog
Aug  8 18:09:01 valhalla /USR/SBIN/CRON[3830]: (root) CMD (  [ -d
/var/lib/php4 ] && find /var/lib/php4/ -type f -cmin
+$(/usr/lib/php4/maxlifetime) -print0 | xargs -r -0 rm)
[snip]
connect to a high speed hub
Aug 8 18:49:52 valhalla kernel: usb 2-2.3: configuration #1 chosen from
1 choice

Aside from the USB messages, it looks like the camera is being
recognised. But, beyond that ...

Are you plugging the camera *directly* into your PC, or into a hub?
 Specifically, an un-powered hub?

Are thumb drives recognized when you plug them into that exact port?

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA
Ron

I have switched to a different port because of the hub issue and now plug the USB cable directly into the port. I don't know what a thumb drive is - if you mean a memory stick, then yes, those are recognised readily and auto-mounted.

With reference to your other post: my system already had kamera installed and I have just added digikam. Still no dice.

So far I've eliminated that the problem source is the camera or the USB cable. It also doesn't appear to be the kernel as I have booted this machine into an earlier kernel version (2.6.18).

The camera and the images are recognised on an Etch machine running KDE and kamera. The Etch machine does not have gphoto2 nor digikam installed, nor is the user a member of any camera group.

I cannot get the camera nor images recognised on my Lenny machine running KDE, Xfce4, nor Gnome, even though kamera (and now digikam) is installed. Using KDE a camera device appears to be found, but the camera type/brand/model isn't recognised even though on the Etch machine it is recognised natively.

This is all very confusing, and aside from the obvious (my machine) I am unable to discern a coherent pattern.

OK have run digikam at the command line and manually added the camera to it and now I can view the images. So that at least is progress. It still does not answer the more basic question of why the camera is not being auto-mounted as it is on the Etch machine.

Any ideas on that would be really helpful.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.