Re: Etch upgrade and keyboard in WindowMaker

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 08:50:37AM EDT, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 12:32:10AM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> >
> > In WPrefs.app, on the last tab to the right you have something that says
> > "enable Windoze (sic) style cycling" that needs to be checked.  Sorry if
> > you've already done that .. I deleted your original post.
> >
> Here is what I have:
>
>  - Disable miniwindows (icons for minimized windows).  For use with
>    KDE/GNOME (unchecked)
>  - Do not set non-WindowMaker specific parameters (do not use xset).
>    (unchecked)
>  - Automatically save session when exiting Window Maker. (checked)
>  - Use SaveUnder in window frames, icons, menus and other objects.
>    (unchecked)
>  - Disable confirmation panel for the kill command. (checked)
>  - Disable selection animation for selected icons. (uncheked)
>  - Smooth font edges (needs restart). (checked)
>
> None of the tabs have anything about "windoze style cycling".  I seem to
> recall seeing that option a long time ago (maybe in the Woody version of
> WindowMaker).  However, it is not there now.

Yes, I'm still on sarge and running wmaker 0.80.2.

So I guess this was changed with the newer 0.90.x versions ..

Actually when you do get it to work you're in for a "treat" ..

WindowMaker now has the Windows gadget popup when you Alt-Tab right in
the middle of your screen and has an icon for each window on your
current workspace.  Completely ruins the look and feel of wmaker, imho.

I'll try to boot into etch later tonight .. but in the meantime ..
since I vaguely recall you had also problems with F12 for the root menu
.. etc .. you may want to locate your "WindowMaker" config file and
check in there the keyboard shortcut definitions.  See if they are what
you expect.  The file used to be in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/ but that may
have changed with the new version.

If you edit the file, do not do with wmaker up and running .. At best
your changes will be overwritten when you exit wmaker .. at worst your
config files will be wiped out.  Do it from a linux console - eg.

I imagine you have bounced your wmaker session since you tweaked your
keyboard shorthcuts.  Otherwise be aware that there is an ancient bug in
wmaker where you need to issue a "Save Session" .. should be in the
"Commands" submenu .. before any changes you made via WPrefs are applied
to your current session.  Doesn't make sense but I have confirmed this
many times.

If nothing comes of the above and unless I find something useful my end
with the newer version, you may also want to try the alternative
configuration GUI .. ie.  wmakerconf.  Probably won't make any
difference .. but it may yell at your for some reason or other and that
may shed some light on this affair ..

Thanks,
cga