Re: Etch upgrade and keyboard in WindowMaker

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 06:59:26PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:

> Yes, I'm still on sarge and running wmaker 0.80.2.
>
> So I guess this was changed with the newer 0.90.x versions ..
>
> Actually when you do get it to work you're in for a "treat" ..

I'd love to get it working :-)

> WindowMaker now has the Windows gadget popup when you Alt-Tab right in
> the middle of your screen and has an icon for each window on your
> current workspace.  Completely ruins the look and feel of wmaker, imho.

I get what you are saying, but I usually have enough windows open at a
time that I don't mind.  Sometimes it is just a pain to read through the
whole list that you get on a middle-click.

> I'll try to boot into etch later tonight .. but in the meantime ..
> since I vaguely recall you had also problems with F12 for the root menu
> .. etc .. you may want to locate your "WindowMaker" config file and
> check in there the keyboard shortcut definitions.  See if they are what
> you expect.  The file used to be in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/ but that may
> have changed with the new version.

I could not find anything there.

> If you edit the file, do not do with wmaker up and running .. At best
> your changes will be overwritten when you exit wmaker .. at worst your
> config files will be wiped out.  Do it from a linux console - eg.
>
> I imagine you have bounced your wmaker session since you tweaked your
> keyboard shorthcuts.  Otherwise be aware that there is an ancient bug in
> wmaker where you need to issue a "Save Session" .. should be in the
> "Commands" submenu .. before any changes you made via WPrefs are applied
> to your current session.  Doesn't make sense but I have confirmed this
> many times.

Yes.  I have it set to automatically save the session on every exit.

> If nothing comes of the above and unless I find something useful my end
> with the newer version, you may also want to try the alternative
> configuration GUI .. ie.  wmakerconf.  Probably won't make any
> difference .. but it may yell at your for some reason or other and that
> may shed some light on this affair ..

I finally figured it out.

It turns out that at some point, my keyboard configurations got trashed
(I am willing to bet this is an artifact of the upgrade from Sarge to
Etch, but I can't prove it).  Anyhow, I went back and manually
reassigned all the shortcuts.  At the time, I did not think anything of
it, but all the shortcuts were getting assigned like this:

alt+m -> Mod1+Mod2+m

When I tried modifying some them in wmakerconf, I actually noticed it
again.  I realized that asside from alt, I was not pressing any other
modifiers.  I then noticed that my numlock was on.  I didn't think it
could be related, but I turned it off.  Then I fixed the shortcuts so
that instead of Mod1+Mod2 they all used only Mod1.  After logging out
and back in, everything seems to work the way it did before.

I am not sure how things got into the state that they did, but it is now
fixed.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

-Roberto