Re: Realplayer doesn't play, reeally.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:21:51 +0200
Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 22:19 +0100, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> > Are you using the MPlayer / plugins from debian-multimedia.org with the
> > binary codecs from the MPlayer website?  As I've said these work
> > flawlessly for me on the BBC website whether is windows media or real
> > media, audio or video.  I really haven't had any problems and I'm using
> > AMD64 Debian.
>
> There's no need for the non-free binary codecs to play the Real audio
> streams from BBC. That format have been successfully reverse
> engineered.
>
> I'm sure your intentions are good, but I wish we would stop this
> business of blindly suggesting everyone install the w32codecs.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Sven Arvidsson
> http://www.whiz.se
> PGP Key ID 760BDD22

If you'd have bothered to read my previous messages I couldn't get the
real video streams on the BBC website to work without using the binary
codecs.  Perhaps I should have been more explicit and I did touch upon
the ideological considerations at hand in using the binary codecs which
are obviously non-free.  I don't think that there was any need for you
to be so rude.  I only suggested the binary codecs as I needed to
install them to view various media, I'm certainly not advocating
proprietary software in general.

regards,

Ananda Samaddar