Re: Which OS? Was "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 21:28 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net> wrote:
> > No, really, Sid typically isn't for the faint of heart. A few weeks
> > after Etch release, Sid is gonna be a bumpy ride for a month or more.
> >
> > "To infinity^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HLenny... and beyond!"
>
> Sid too? I thought only testing. But this means I will be able to put
> my recovery techniques/measures to test. This will be fun ;)

Sid, yes. There are a TON of things waiting to enter Sid. Uploading has
been limited to those things being done for Etch. Unless you are
uploading to experimental.

There is a reason it called a freeze.

But, yes, Sid might be okay for those paths less traveled. I guarantee
that the major "sets of packages" like GNOME, KDE... pretty much most
anything with a "team" is gonna be like riding an untamed bull. Packages
will be uploaded at a furious pace one the freeze is off.

It has been this way, since freezing became the way of life for Debian.
I am not saying it is a bad thing, just that those that have been using
Sid since a few months after Sarge's release... please standby. It is an
experience most Linux user MUST encounter, before they understand what
Debian's "Stable" is really all about.

I actually enjoyed watching the last transition on the mailing lists.
You think 400-500 messages a day are bad, just wait. It is all good, it
gives me the chance to improve my knowledge, typing skills and ability
to give "RTFM" and "STFW" answers. It also allows me to help other
people to fix problems and to perhaps give back to this community.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup