Re: apt-get update & upgrade

Jim Hyslop wrote:
Kent West wrote:
[...]
In short, there's too much that can go wrong if you don't pay attention,
so I personally would not go the route of automation. Others may disagree.
I was wondering if there would be any issues like that. Can you
elaborate a little on the kinds of things that might go wrong? I must
admit that when I do run apt-get update/upgrade, I don't always look
over things thoroughly.

Fer 'xample:

I just pulled an old box out of mothballs (having just had a mobo die on me in my regular box), and ran "aptitude update" on it. Here's the results:

Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org unstable Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://http.us.debian.org stable Release.gpg [378B] Get:3 http://http.us.debian.org testing Release.gpg [189B] Hit http://http.us.debian.org unstable Release Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable Release Get:4 http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release.gpg [189B] Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing Release Get:5 http://http.us.debian.org unstable Release [79.6kB] Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release Err http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release Get:6 http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release [18.1kB] Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release Get:7 http://http.us.debian.org stable Release [34.6kB] Ign http://http.us.debian.org unstable Release Get:8 http://http.us.debian.org testing Release [74.4kB] Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages Ign http://http.us.debian.org stable Release Ign http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org unstable/contrib Packages
Ign http://http.us.debian.org testing Release Ign http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
Ign http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/main Packages
Hit http://http.us.debian.org stable/contrib Packages
Fetched 208kB in 2s (93.1kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A70DAF536070D3A1 W: GPG error: http://http.us.debian.org unstable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A70DAF536070D3A1 W: GPG error: http://http.us.debian.org stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A70DAF536070D3A1 NO_PUBKEY B5D0C804ADB11277 W: GPG error: http://http.us.debian.org testing Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A70DAF536070D3A1
Granted, this particular problem would not hurt me in this case had the process been automated and continued, but the potential is there.

I've also had times when I wasn't paying attention and wound up removing all of KDE or other large subsets of functionality. I've since learned to pay a bit more attention.

--
Kent