Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:09:00PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
> > a point). And if you don't want to believe me then don't, /I/ don't
> > care what you think, /I'm/ just trying to get /my/ point across in
> > what /I've/ seen in /my/ experience.
>
>     That's find.  And in my opinion and my experience you're biased and full
> of crap.

I don't see how I'm biased. I personally dislike Ubuntu, because it's
broken as hell. That isn't to say that I hate it, or would never use
it. I have my sister running Xubuntu on her Dell Inspiron, and she
never has any trouble with it.

I think Ubuntu is great for a casual user, but for someone who wants
Linux FOR Linux, Ubuntu just doesn't get the job done.

There's no need for you to be so hostile, I'm not being hostile. I'm
just trying to have a conversation about Ubuntu, and how I feel about
it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If I choose not to use
Ubuntu does that make me biased? I choose not to use Ubuntu because I
find Debian is twenty times easier to use and I learn a lot more on a
system that doesn't come preconfigured.

And as for me being full of crap, that's up to you.

Keep in mind Ubuntu is using the same system as Debian, but not using
it the way it was meant to be used. Which is why Ubuntu debs don't
work on Debian and vice-versa (For the most part). I personally think
that is the root of why dist-upgrade breaks a lot of the time, and it
isn't really a fault in Ubuntu, because they still provide their users
with a lot of other things Debian doesn't. A huge forum (Our mailing
list has nothing on their forum), commercial support (For Debian? Kind
of an oxymoron, isn't it?), and graphical tools to configure
everything (Or at least more than Debian has).

Before calling me biased and full of crap, realize that in the midst
of the topic I only posted the negative things about Ubuntu, because
that's what we were talking about (And what my mindset was on when I
began typing my original email).

But I will stop arguing here because I realize that your last email
shows your level of knowledge and education, and I understand that you
can't carry on a conversation without swearing at the other party if
they don't agree with you. And if you're representative of the level
of maturity that is packaged with the Ubuntu distribution and it's
community then I really feel sorry for their forums; Because I've
never found a community as smart and mature as the Debian community.