Re: NVIDIA i2c adapter?

On Thursday 22 March 2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:

> > > You ignore it, according to one of the Nvidia employees who post on the
> > > nvnews.net site it is a useless warning that will be fixed in some
> > > unspecified future version of the driver.
> >
> > Somehow I don't think nvidia is planning on updating that driver.  They
> > no longer support the old cards, that's why David has to use the old
> > drivers.  The new driver doesn't support his card.  It is not typical
> > that companies will work on drivers of old products.  They want you to
> > buy their new product instead.
> >
> > Sorry to say, you'll either have to live with that error, downgrade your
> >  kernel, use open drivers or get a new video card.  Those are the only
> > options I see.
>
> I believe the idea is that the legacy driver as they are calling it will
> continue to be updated to keep supporting the older cards at least that is
> what I have read on the site whether they do it or not is another thing...

Their "legacy" is for real old stuff. But since I can ignore the "error", I am
in no rush to buy a new card. I wish venders that no longer wish to support a
piece of hardware or software would release the specs and code to the
opensource community. Those who have spare cash to always have the latest and
greatest may enjoy this but I do not have the money. I bought the geforce
because the ATI I had no longer worked DRI and the needed code was no longer
updated for newer Xorg in Sid.

I have an older pro sound card with no ALSA because the manufacturer keeps the
needed data under lock and key. A reason why I still have windows 98 around.
No drivers for anything newer. I like that card and do not like some of the
newer ones that I could afford.