Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:51:35 -0400
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> something stable that won't break every six months (Of course I can
> just not dist-upgrade, but then I wouldn't get ANY package upgrades).

Can you not do something much like to 'aptitude update && aptitude
upgrade" on Ubuntu, no matter what flavor? Case in point - I had a
guest box over here for a couple of months, and I installed Ubuntu
Edgy on it. After the initial install, configuration, and such, I
kept it up to date with the Edgy repository by simply doing that,
just like I would have done on Debian Etch/testing on my main machine,
although of course, the packages & sources list pointed to Ubuntu and
not Debian repositories.

Of course, there will be more releases done in the same time frame on
Ubuntu compared to pure Debian. So, you risk potential obsolescence
sooner if you install (for instance) Edgy add Edgy becomes what Dapper
is now.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.