Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 08:51:56PM +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> >   I guess I still don't completely understand the Debian system. Why
> > would I not get security patches running testing...which I think is
> > really Etch now ?
>
> Security support for etch started around the freeze, IIRC.

I think it actually started well before the freeze, but seems like it
moved around a bit.

> I guess it is just too much work for the security team to support and
> fix sid, stable and testing, ie. to fix three different versions of a
> software just because of one security problem (in the case of stable and
> testing the fixes have to be backported).

of course, by giving security support for testing, do we sort of
de-facto get some security support for sid? What is the path for a
security patch to testing? does it run through sid like any other
patch?