Re: Using gdb on a debian system.

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 19:03 -0500, cga2000 wrote:
> > See http://wiki.debian.org/?HowToGetABacktrace
>
> I tried that HowTo but was unable to get it to work.
>
> It's also unclear what these commands do.
>
> Does this end up replacing the normal binaries with a debug version of
> the programs?

Yes it does.

> Where does the output of the "dpkg -i" go?

Not sure what you mean here?

> Am I supposed to reinstall the regular package when I'm done testing?

You can do that if you want to. If you don't, the worst thing that
happens is that the application in question might run a little slower.

> Is the source package that you download guaranteed to be in sync with
> the binary that was installed as a result of an "apt-get install"?

Good question. I'm not entirely sure what happens if you run unstable
and stop upgrading after a while, I guess apt-get source will not find
the source package if it already has been replaced by something newer in
the archive?

If that is so, you should be able to fetch the old source from
snapshot.debian.net. To be sure, compare the version numbers.

> In any event, I had tried what the author of the doc recommends and was
> unable to get gdb to do anything apart from giving me the infamous
> "unable.." message.

Is it a specific package you have trouble with? It might be a bug in the
package so it will be stripped of the debug info nevertheless.

HTH,

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson