Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:11:07PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:21:31PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
>
> > And for the people who actually want to use Linux, they will
> > eventually move from Ubuntu to Debian ...
>
> I've been using Debian since slink, and I'm ready to move to Ubuntu.
>
> I just can't handle the absurdly-long release cycle any more.

I still don't understand why you would switch to Ubuntu. Unstable is
everything Ubuntu is and more. Unstable has larger repositories, a
more stable user base, and Debian Sid is generally more stable than *
release of Ubuntu (Even if Ubuntu is directly based on Sid, whatever
they do to it kills some of the stability).

And for servers you can always run Etch and apt-pin whatever you need
from Sid. Of course you can do that in Ubuntu too, but the thing I've
never understood is that in Ubuntu you aren't even SUPPOSED to
apt-pin, because Edgy packagers aren't compatible with Dapper,
likewise Feisty and Edgy.