Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:11:07PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:21:31PM -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
>>
>>> And for the people who actually want to use Linux, they will
>>> eventually move from Ubuntu to Debian ...
>> I've been using Debian since slink, and I'm ready to move to Ubuntu.
>>
>> I just can't handle the absurdly-long release cycle any more.
>>

> I still don't understand why you would switch to Ubuntu. Unstable is
> everything Ubuntu is and more. Unstable has larger repositories, a
> more stable user base, and Debian Sid is generally more stable than *
> release of Ubuntu (Even if Ubuntu is directly based on Sid, whatever
> they do to it kills some of the stability).
>
> And for servers you can always run Etch and apt-pin whatever you need
> from Sid. Of course you can do that in Ubuntu too, but the thing I've
> never understood is that in Ubuntu you aren't even SUPPOSED to
> apt-pin, because Edgy packagers aren't compatible with Dapper,
> likewise Feisty and Edgy.

Exactly.  So, if you want to keep your software current and run Ubuntu,
then you need to reinstall the operating system every six months.  If
you run Debian Stable, it will be every few years and you won't get the
lastest versions, but you don't have to reinstall anything.  The
dist-upgrade will work.

However, run Testing and you'll get semi up to date packages and
stability (most of the time) but you don't get security patches.

Run Sid and you get up-to-date packages and stability (most of the time)
and you get security patches.  If you're adept enough at running Debian
Sid, you don't need Ubuntu for anything.  Your chances of your system
breaking in both the latest Ubuntu and Sid are just as likely, but Sid
gets fixed quickly.  It also evolves, so there is no reason ever to
re-install.  This of course applies to desktop machines.

Now if we're talking about a production server, that's a whole different
Ball game.  I would never trust anything but Stable for that.  I would
install it however I could, and there are many ways.

One of the things that people also forget is that when Ubuntu makes a
release, the developers move on to the next version and only a few
people are working keeping the current release stable.  I remember the
day Dapper was released.  The shift moved immediately to edgy.  The same
with Edgy to Fiesty.  You can be assured it will happen again in April
with Whatever it is Feisty+1.

I still don't get why we're talking about Ubuntu here.

Joe

- --