Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:15:18 +0100
Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> Exactly.  So, if you want to keep your software current and run
> Ubuntu, then you need to reinstall the operating system every six
> months.  If you run Debian Stable, it will be every few years and you
> won't get the lastest versions, but you don't have to reinstall
> anything.  The dist-upgrade will work.
>
> However, run Testing and you'll get semi up to date packages and
> stability (most of the time) but you don't get security patches.
>
> Run Sid and you get up-to-date packages and stability (most of the
> time) and you get security patches.  If you're adept enough at
> running Debian Sid, you don't need Ubuntu for anything.  Your chances
> of your system breaking in both the latest Ubuntu and Sid are just as
> likely, but Sid gets fixed quickly.  It also evolves, so there is no
> reason ever to re-install.  This of course applies to desktop
> machines.

  I guess I still don't completely understand the Debian system. Why
would I not get security patches running testing...which I think is
really Etch now ?

> One of the things that people also forget is that when Ubuntu makes a
> release, the developers move on to the next version and only a few
> people are working keeping the current release stable.  I remember the
> day Dapper was released.  The shift moved immediately to edgy.  The
> same with Edgy to Fiesty.  You can be assured it will happen again in
> April with Whatever it is Feisty+1.

  Dapper was Ubuntu's best-ever release - so they immediately moed to
Edgy which was the worst-ever release. Edgy was what drove me here, to
Debian.

Cheers

Frank

 --
    Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how