Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:21:38AM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could some one recommend which File System is best for partitions above
> 600GB?
> I am considering XFS. The System is Debian Sarge for amd64.
> Hope there are no issues with this setup. please let me know if i
> should be careful in any area.
> Also if a better file system suits for such large partitions :-)

There are a few comparisions out there but you need to look at the
design philosophies in relation to your application.  There have been
some problems with ReiserFS (no references, but there were messages on
debian-user a while ago).  When I looked at this it came down to a
choice between XFS and JFS.  There have also been a lot of threads on
this topic on debian-user in the past few months.

Try wikipedia and google site:ibm.com

I looked at it this way:  JFS was designed by IBM for server (database)
type filesystems so all their AIX boxes run JFS.  Cray uses XFS for its
compute stuff.  IFRC neither journals the data (only metadata) so after
a crash, the filesystem itself will be intact and a fast reboot is
possible but there could be some data corruption.  ext3 journals data as
well as metadata but takes forever to regenerate after a crash and there
can still be errors.

I went from ext3 to reiser and having errors on power failure with both
went to JFS and have had no problems since.  YMMV.

Doug.