Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/25/07 17:57, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

Joe Hart wrote:

I remember when I was in elementary school (in Virginia) that we were
taught the metric system

Actually this approach is very good. You get to know about other things and
wont be overwhelmed when you encounter them. In India, We were taught CGS,

CGS?

centimeter-gram-second

MKS, SI and a bunch of other stuff both in high school, college. I found it

MKS?  Mortice Kern Systems?

meter-kilogram(mme)-second

The CGS and MKS are competing metric systems of measurement.
The ISO propounded a whole new set of units based on the MKS
which supposedly was going to clear up the confusion. All it
really did was introduce yet another set of stuff, so that
when one reads older literature one has yet another layer
of confusion wondering which units are being used, and changed
the names of a some of the older units just for extra measure,
from reasonable names to cronyism names for scientists.

Example: cycle per second changed to Hertz
         mho changed to siemens

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.