Re: professional data recovery services for ex3 filesystem

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 18:48 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:

> >> Nice page. One small comment: The plot 'mainenance problems' appears
> >> twice on my iceweasel.
> >
> > Look at the two images they are different.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > That what the two graphs showed is qualitative.
>
> I understand. But still with all measures the curves give the impression
> that there is practically little difference between testing and unstable
> and that stable has about 10 to 20% (qualitative!!!) of the problems of
> those.
>
> My personal experience with 15 boxes of stable and a few boxes of
> testing/sid is:
>
> - there are more problems with sid than with testing
>
> - once debian is installed, there are next to zero problems with stable
>
> - on a quantitative plot, the differences are even bigger. On average,
> there is about one (security) update per week on my stable systems.
> There are about 100 times as many bug fixes in testing and even more in
> sid.
>
> Just look at http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/ to get an
> impression of how many more release critical bugs there are in sid
> (approximately the red curve) compared to testing (approximately the
> green curve).
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know how find out how many RC bugs there are in
> stable.

RC bugs in stable right now is O (zero)

RC == Release Critical (or so I've been told)

Since Stable is already released... well you draw the conclusion.

>  A quick scan shows that most of those are about non-free
> documentation or other issues that don't directly affect the usability
> of the system.
>
> On a qualitative plot, I would simply put testing a bit below unstable
> and stable much closer to the lower axis.

Well, you see, there are LOTS of bugs discovered in the first few months
after Stable release. Its a proved fact that testing doesn't get tested
enough, until it is migrated to stable. Many, many latent bugs are
discovered right after release. Things only tremendous amounts of
testing/using will bear out.

These graphs the Matt Exon made are really a "close approximation" not
definitive.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup