Re: professional data recovery services for ex3 filesystem

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 21:12 -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> Can someone recommend a professional data recovery service center (in USA)
> to recover a ext3 filesystem on a 60 GB IDE laptop hard drive? The hard
> drive belongs to a Toshiba Satellite p25-s507 laptop and has both Debian
> Etch (ext3) and Windows XP (NTFS) installed. The documents on Linux are
> more important than on the Windows. Luckily, there are backups available.
> But I want to get a general idea of how tough it would have been if there
> were no backups.
>
> The laptop used to work fine (no errors in the log files, no grinding
> noises). One fine day when it was moved from one place to another and then
> it stopped booting. The BIOS does not even recognize the hard drive. The
> hard drive does not spin. I believe that the problem could be a bad
> controller or a bad motor. So it needs to be taken into a clean room to get
> the data out.
>
> Typically, how much does this kind of service cost assuming that the hard
> drive is physically damaged and the problems are not due to some logical
> problems?
>
> Did anyone have experience with any data recovery services who would have
> dealt with such kind of problems before? Who is the cheapest? Who offers
> the most reliable service? Any other suggestions are also welcome!

Lots of money. Ontrack in about the only service I trust anymore. I've
used the cheaper solution, only to discover they were using off-shoots
of Ontrack's technology. IOW. they licensed the process.

Have Fun.

Also, Kamaraju, I believe I sent an e-mail to your gmail account. An
update to your howto.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup