Re: Attracting newbies

Chris Lale wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:09:30 -0500
>> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The berlios.de wiki is *very* easy to edit. Unfortunately not very
>> stable :(
>>

> The wiki and the MediaWiki software are stable enough - it is the
> Berlios server that is not always available. Not every Free software
> organisation will host a wiki sucessfully - eg SourceForge has a better
> uptime but permissions will not allow user contributions, thus defeating
> the whole point of a wiki. Also, the latest version of MediaWiki
> requires PHP5 - again, not always provided. Still, there are quite a few
> hosting services for Free software projects. MediaWiki is the software
> behind Wikipedia and is built with Free documentation in mind. It is
> mature, well-maintained and continuing to be developed so it may be a
> good choice in the long run.
>
> In my earlier post
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/02/msg01169.html I explained
> the DocBook/CVS alternative - great for HTML, PDF and plain text, but
> cumbersome.
>
> You you may be able to use utilities to convert an HTML wiki page to
> other formats eg Htmldoc, though Htmldoc in Etch seems to have problems
> related to CSS.

I'm just jumping in to this thread after reading the last few posts in
this thread. If you need the latest wiki (with PHP5), I can offer to
host it and connection is pretty reliable too. My friend who offers the
hosting can help as he himself does some OSS development.

Just send me a ping if needed.
Regards,
/KS