Re: Attracting newbies

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:09:30 -0500
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
So if we go with the wiki, we (or at least I) have to learn a new
markup language and resign ourselves that the work can't be used in
any other work.  If we go with another format, it needs a home and
we (or at least I) have to learn a new markup language.  Unless, of
course we don't need html and can do with pdf, ps, and plain text.
If so, does anyone other than me use Lout?

The berlios.de wiki is *very* easy to edit. Unfortunately not very
stable :(

The wiki and the MediaWiki software are stable enough - it is the Berlios server that is not always available. Not every Free software organisation will host a wiki sucessfully - eg SourceForge has a better uptime but permissions will not allow user contributions, thus defeating the whole point of a wiki. Also, the latest version of MediaWiki requires PHP5 - again, not always provided. Still, there are quite a few hosting services for Free software projects. MediaWiki is the software behind Wikipedia and is built with Free documentation in mind. It is mature, well-maintained and continuing to be developed so it may be a good choice in the long run.

In my earlier post http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/02/msg01169.html I explained the DocBook/CVS alternative - great for HTML, PDF and plain text, but cumbersome.

You you may be able to use utilities to convert an HTML wiki page to other formats eg Htmldoc, though Htmldoc in Etch seems to have problems related to CSS.

--
Chris.