Re: Attracting newbies

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:12:01PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/06/07 21:56, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > That I'm the only one left on the planet with a printer that right now
> > can't print ps even with gs-esp.  Its a mechanical problem with the
> > printer.  Its 26 years old.
>
> Geez, what is it?  A C.Itoh Gorilla Banana?  A Diablo 630?  An LA50?

You know the marketing picture for the origional IBM PC, with the big
clunky monitor, the PC box, and the printer?  That's it.  An IBM
Personal Computer Graphics Printer.  It _will_ print postscript (it
thinks its an ML-370 I think), but the little twiddle knob that turns
the ribbon is broke.  To print, I have to twiddle the knob on the
ribbon.  Its bad enough for plain text that prints one line per second
(one page per minute), but graphis print at about 20 minutes per page.
Gives one blisters on the thumb and finger involved.

> > I just read the policy manual and other than packages _must_ provide a
> > man page, debian is moving towards all documentation being in html.
>
> That's a good thing.  Hypertext is too useful.  And all the Debian
> html docs are console-friendly.  Too many of the DDs are CLI fans to
> be otherwise.  And most upstream docs are text-heavy also.

I agree.  So if we want html that we can package up outside of a wiki we
need a home for it.  And I need to learn html or something.

Doug.