Re: What UPS to buy

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:11:12PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote......

> > Some of APC's UPS units allow you to set the voltage sensitivity via dip
> > switches, some of the units allow you to set it via software, and some
> > don't let you adjust the sensitivity.  So if you plan to back up your
> > battery powered UPS with an external generator, make sure to get a UPS
> > with an adjustment for voltage sensitivity.
>
> But then you're stepping out of the realm of SOHO UPSs, no?

Perhaps.  But depends on where you live and how often you experience power
outages.  I live in the Northeast of the US, and we have power outages
frequently, lasting anywhere from 30 min to 48 hrs.  So having a backup
generator to keep the pipes from freezing and a few lights on is pretty
common.  Dedicating one circuit to a computer or two doesn't draw too many
amps on the overall load so why not?  So if you live in a place that has
frequent power outages, and you're in the market for a battery operated UPS,
why not get one with an ability to set voltage sensitivity just in case you
eventually add in an external generator.

--
Kevin Coyner  GnuPG key: 1024D/8CE11941