Re: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(104,7)

--- Onur Aslan <onur@siyahport.com> wrote:
hi. My friend try to install etch but installer is not opening.
He's get this error message: http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7485/isopa8.png .
I got this same message when I recompiled my first kernel, the cause is your filesystem requires and initrd RAM disk. From a LiveCD you can try mounting and chrooting into your friend's computer, then:

/# cd /boot
# uname -r
# ls -la
/(At this point look for something like initrd.img-kernelversion, replacing kernelversion with the output of /uname -r/)
/# mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-kernelversion kernelversion
# vim grub/menu.lst
/
You'll have to add the initrd line to your kernel list at the bottom of the file. Mine, for example, looks like this:
/
title      Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-486 (on /dev/hda1)
root      (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-486 root=/dev/hda1 ro
*initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-486 *
savedefault
boot

/Add the initrd line to both your normal kernel and recovery kernel, unmount your friend's filesystem and hope that it works.