Re: Debian Etch RC1 installation problem(tcpd package)

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:31:35PM -0500, David Shultz wrote:
> One thing i just want to know. I think i didn't make
> that clear in my earlier post. Sorry about that. The
> website:
>
> http://www.debianhelp.org/node/3648
>
> states that the openbsd-inetd package hangs only when
> a static ip is used using netcfg/disable_dhcp=true at
> installation(netinstaller) cd's boot time. If you
> install using that process(static ip) this package's
> installation process waits for an input. For this
> reason this hanging problem. So when it says:

the solution in the linnk you provided is to use a dhcp
configuration. Is this not possible for you? I suppose you could
always try this, totally not tested. after networking is setup but
BEFORE installation of packages begins switch to a vt (ctrl-alt-f2),
press enter to start the terminal and move /etc/networks out of the
way (mv /etc/networks /etc/networks.org), switch back to the install
alt-f1 and proceed from there. What this might do to the networking, I
don't know. Another option, mentioned elsewhere, is to forgo the
network setup in the install and just install the base system. THen
after reboot setup networking however you like and proceed to install
packages you want.

> Installing tcpd(displayed at top of screen)
> a progress bar and
> installed openbsd-inetd(displayed bottom of the bar)
>
> if i press alt+F4 and go to console, will it be
> possible to give the input there(whatever it is
> asking for)? Can someone kindly confirm that? I
> really want to install debian etch. I think it is a
> fantastic distro. Thanks.

you sound committed, so why not just try it and report back?