Re: Getting started with Postgres or MySQL

On (31/01/07 19:17), David Baron wrote:
> I have an openoffice spreadsheet from which I want to generate two related
> tables. I have tried most everything installed.
>
> Stuff from OpenOffice will generate a database with table entries named by the
> first line in the spreadsheet. This can, indeed, be queried, sort of.
>
> I would like to get this data into a Postgres or MySQL database. Using
> pgadmin3, I cannot get a connection connected. Does not accept my password.
> Their docs cited Debian problems here and recommended md5 authorization.
> Tried that. No avail. One can also simply say trust (localhost only). No
> avail.
>
> How do I get started here?

It's been a while since I set up postgres but I recall you have to edit:

/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf:

edit METHOD for
# All other connections by UNIX sockets
 local all all md5

There are also issues in terms of setting at a user with the requisite
permissions; I think you need to create a new user with privileges

I found it easier to do some of this setup (of users and premissions)
staff using psql on the server.  You might also want to look at
phppgadmin which is quite good for setting up users and permissions.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...