Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 20:03 -0800, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I have a question, if anyone here has an answer...
>
> Is it the intent of the Debian team that Iceweasel actually fork the
> codebase, or are they just going to remove the nonfree bits and change
> the name of each new Firefox release?  If the former, then it will
> become a new beast.  It is only a matter of time.  If the latter, then
> it is basically just an unbranded Firefox that they can provide timely
> security updates on without having to go through Mozilla.org.
>
> Does anyone have an answer to this?

The want is unbranded Firefox. It may go the other way.

There are parts that are removed that were non-Debian supported
platforms (like OS2) and pieces that are completely broken and/or are
missing in any case. Looks like a couple of additions are added as
security additions.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

So, I guess it is like what Debian does in any case. Slightly changed
but most original. Eventually Debian like to only accept or do
patches/additions that are accepted upstream.

So, it is like a standard Debian Package, Original with a Diff patch and
description.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup