Re: Debian, Iceweasle, Firefox!

Only Etch supports amd64, so I was forced to use Etch.

Command I have used:
apt-get install firefox

NOT
apt-get install iceweasel

I knew exactly what I was doing, because my friend told me that there will be no longer firefox in debian, instead of it will be iceweasel, so I was curious what  will  happen  after typing:
apt-get install firefox

There is no longer firefox in debian etch, so after typing:
apt-get install firefox
I would like to see announcement: Firefox packages are no longer present in debian distribution, please try iceweasel.

Do you see a difference?

I don't use aptitude, because I prefer command line.

On 1/27/07, Roberto C. Sanchez < roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 01:11:26AM +0100, Piotr Dziubinski wrote:
> Answers:
> Etch
> apt-get
>
> I was informed by apt-get that Iceweasel package will be installed, but I
> wasn't informed that instead of Firefox and it is a problem!
> If I would like to uninstall (even current version of) Firefox I would do it
> myself.

So, you are running the *testing* distribution, you perform an 'apt-get
upgrade', it decides it wants to install *new* packages and you proceed
*blindly* without investigating *why* the new package was being
installed?  I'm sorry, but it seems like you did this to yourself.

Had you bothered to run and 'apt-cache show iceweasel', you would have
seen what was going on.  Had you been running aptitude, which has been
the preferred and better supported package manager for Debian since the
release of Sarge, you would have seen by simply highlighting the
iceweasel package that it was being installed because firefox depended
on it.

I'll say again, you did this to yourself and your initial flame against
everyone was highly uncalled for.

Regards,

-Roberto

--