Re: OT crappy tech support [was Re: dialup connectivity problem]

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 06:53:02AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:31:47AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >>But no technical support ever identified the problem and they would
> >>only talk to me when I said I had M$ OS installed and running.
> >
> >scripted "tech" support drone: click on the start menu
> >me: uh huh, okay...
> >stsd: click on settings
> >me: okay </me twiddles thumbs>
> >stsd: now click on network connections
>

> <snip>
>
> That's about how it goes: except xlate that into Spanish and repeat it
> about 5 times and then you know *never* to bother your ISP tech support
> except to ask how the weather is ;-)

I think it requires a little social engineering. Do some poking around
the IP's website and find out who their internel IT personel are and
try and get to them directly. At least with my particular problem,
that's what I needed to do. The cause of the above was a gateway that
wasn't routing past itself, but was still providing dhcp service *and*
as part of that was supply name servers that were on the other side of
the gateway, which I couldn't get routed too... "tech support" can't
handle that anyway, you need the guys who actually run the
machines... Of course, I guess there was no point in having
nameservers if I couldn't get past the gateway anyway :(