Re: dialup connectivity problem

Zach wrote:
On 1/24/07, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

<snip>

AFAIK that has nothing to do with Debian but with your ISP.

Hi Hugo,

Oh.

This is what I get sometimes (Sid):

Jan 23 02:01:30 debian pppd[2459]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Jan 23 02:01:30 debian pppd[2459]: Modem hangup
Jan 23 02:01:30 debian pppd[2459]: Connect time 39.0 minutes.

This ISP switched to v.92 protocol and my old modem would not connect.
The ISP said nothing, but with a new v.02 analog modem the connections
are a lot better.

If it is the modem protocol why can it sometimes stay connected for 3
hours and other times only 15 or 20 minutes before it disconnects? Do
you think if I buy a new model of external serial modem it will stop
disconnecting? Did my syslog file look good in terms of logging
everything I can?

This is one of the mysteries of having an ISP.
I used to have (Mexico) Telmex/Prodigy. That connection was horrible: broke off every so many minutes, would connect badly (=server busy). Then I switched to (Mexico) AT&T. Good connection but every so often would disconnect on "Looking up...". Went back to Telmex/Prodigy when I could no longer connect to AT&T because they switched to v.92 protocol (and no technical support identified that), connections worse than before.
Bought a v.92 analog serial modem:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16825137104
went back to AT&T and the connections and stability are excellent now.

But no technical support ever identified the problem and they would only talk to me when I said I had M$ OS installed and running.

Hugo