Re: dialup connectivity problem

Zach wrote:
On 1/24/07, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

This ISP switched to v.92 protocol and my old modem would not connect.
The ISP said nothing, but with a new v.02 analog modem the connections
are a lot better.

If it is the modem protocol why can it sometimes stay connected for 3
hours and other times only 15 or 20 minutes before it disconnects? Do
you think if I buy a new model of external serial modem it will stop
disconnecting? Did my syslog file look good in terms of logging
everything I can?

Zach

Another thing to check is the line quality. If your line has a lot of noise on it, the connection can get lost that way and would degrade the speed before that. On bad days, I get speeds down to 9600, varying lengths of time on-line, then the system misses 4 pings to the ISP and disconnects. Of course, even on a good day, every two hours my ISP dumps me... I think they call it "load sharing"... I call it lame...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.