OT crappy tech support [was Re: dialup connectivity problem]

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 09:31:47AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> But no technical support ever identified the problem and they would only
> talk to me when I said I had M$ OS installed and running.

scripted "tech" support drone: click on the start menu
me: uh huh, okay...
stsd: click on settings
me: okay </me twiddles thumbs>
stsd: now click on network connections
me: yup, got it.
stsd: okay, now right click on properties
me: right click, okay, next </me reads some email offline>
stsd: now pick the details tab
me: okay, oh, repair connection?
stsd: um.. yes
me: okay, it doing something </me types `ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig
eth0 up` to amuse myself>
stsd: okay, does that fix it?
me: ummm... okay hold on </me reviews resolv.conf, pings the results
therein>
me: nope, I told you your dhcp server was providing dns server
addresses for servers that aren't online. can you get me someone who
knows how to actually troubleshoot network issues?

sigh...