Re: dialup connectivity problem

Zach wrote:
Hi,

I am having a problem in Debian (testing) and wonder if you could help me. In
Windoze I can stat a download program and left unattended it will run
for 5 hours before the ISP automatically disconnects, however in Linux
when I am running 'apt-get upgrade' sometimes it will run for 5 hours
also before disconnecting but more often than not it will disconnect
after just 1 hour and also often just 90 minutes and sometimes rarely
just after a few minutes. I cannot find any explanation or error
message in /var/log. I am using SupraExpress 56 SP serial modem (also
I wonder why the max download transfer rate I get is around 30KB
whereas in Windoze I can get 50KB in Windoze). Here is all I could
find in the logfiles:

<snip>

AFAIK that has nothing to do with Debian but with your ISP.

This is what I get sometimes (Sid):

Jan 23 02:01:30 debian pppd[2459]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Jan 23 02:01:30 debian pppd[2459]: Modem hangup
Jan 23 02:01:30 debian pppd[2459]: Connect time 39.0 minutes.

This ISP switched to v.92 protocol and my old modem would not connect. The ISP said nothing, but with a new v.02 analog modem the connections are a lot better.

Hugo