Re: Root privilege (SOLVED)

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:25:51PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 11:00:48PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> >
> > Hi Roberto
> >
> > I can buy that.  Hard to watch a DVD or use a full-featured web-browser,
> > or read a pdf with diagrams without X.
> >
> Except that watching a DVD with 'mplayer -vo aa dvd://1' is quite the
> console-based experience.  Also, they don't make web browser much more
> full featured that lynx.  I'll grant you that diagrams in a PDF are a
> bit tougher, though :-)

Hi Roberto

I haven't looked at mplayer.  Do you mean that I can watch a DVD on a
serial console?  I use lynx when I don't need frames or images and dillo
when I do.  I only use firefox when I need java or images + https.  I've
tried some other text-based browsers supposed to do frames and stuff but
I couldn't get them to work.  The man pages said the interface was
intutitive.  I couldn't even intuit the help.

I remember when I was first transitioning from OS/2 to linux.  Mostly, I
ran WordPerfect (the text-mode version) that had a preview screen.  It
took me a while to get used to lout, make a ps, then launch gv to
preview it.  Once I get my etch box all set up I'll try Lyx but
primarily as a way to learn latex.

Doug.